This is from Jewell – delicious
- Sweetened condensed milk – 11 oz (300 ml)
- Brown sugar, packed 2 cups (450 ml)
- granulated sugar 1 cup (225 ml)
- milk 1/2 cup (125 ml)
- butter or hard margarine 3 tbsp (50 ml)
- corn syrup 2 tbsp (30 ml)
- vanilla 1 tsp (5 ml)
- Combine first 6 ingredients in 3 quart (3l) saucepan. Heat on medium-low, stirring often as it comes to a boil. boil, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until soft ball stage on candy thermometer or until a small spoonful dropped in cold water forms a soft ball. Remove from heat. Remove thermometer. Let stand 40 minutes. Add vanilla. Beat until it gets thick. Pour into greased 9 X 9 inch (22 X 22 cm) pan. Cool Cuts into 36 pieces.
- Tip – do not under-cook or while it will still taste good, you will have to eat it with a spoon.