- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, sliced
- Place egg whites in a large mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 1-1/4 cups sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Sprinkle cornstarch over egg white mixture; fold in. Fold in lemon juice and extract.
- Spray a Lg Cookie Sheet with nonstick cooking spray . Spoon meringue onto pan, forming a 12-in. heart; build up edges slightly, Or Make 4 small hearts. Bake at 250° for 45-55 minutes or until crisp. Cool on pan on a wire rack.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining 2 T. sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Spoon over meringue; arrange strawberries over top. Serve immediately.