By Adell Shneer and The Canadian Living Test Kitchen. This bakes into tender, buttery buns in a variety of shapes. Do some of each to make a fabulous breadbasket for your holiday table.
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) granulated sugar
- 1-1/4 cups (300 mL) milk
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) warm water
- 1 pkg (2-1/4 tsp/11 mL) active dry yeast
- 1 egg
- 4-1/2 cups (1.125 L) all-purpose flour, (approx)
- Remove 1 tsp (5 mL) of the sugar; set aside.
- In saucepan, heat together milk, butter, salt and remaining sugar until butter is melted; let cool to lukewarm.
- In large bowl, dissolve reserved sugar with warm water. Sprinkle in yeast; let stand until frothy, about 10 minutes. Whisk in milk mixture and egg.
- Stir in 4 cups (1 L) of the flour, 1 cup (250 mL) at a time, to make soft shaggy dough. Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead, adding as much of the remaining flour as necessary to prevent sticking, until smooth, elastic and quite soft, about 10 minutes.
- Place dough in large greased bowl, turning to grease all over. Cover with plastic wrap or tea towel; let rise in warm place until dough is doubled in bulk, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Additional Information
- Variation – Whole Wheat Soft Dinner Roll Dough: Replace 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour.