This is a basic chili recipe learned by watching my mom. It changes depending on what is available in the house at any given time.
Dutch oven or large pot
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of ground beef
- 1 large onion chopped\
- celery chopped – 3 stalks probably
- pepper green or red or both depending on what you like
- 2 cans tomato soup
- I like to use 1 can crushed tomatoes and 1 can diced tomatoes usually the 28 oz ones
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 cap vinegar
- dark red kidney beans rinsed, 1-2 cans depending on what you like
- chili powder
- salt and pepper
- I brown the hamburger, onion, celery and pepper until veges are soft. Add salt and pepper. I add chili powder at this stage too, but it can be added after the tomatoes
- When this is done, I add the tomatoes, soup and beans. If I cannot get crushed tomatoes, I will put whole tomatoes through a blender to make them smooth. I sometimes by the tomatoes spiced for chili, but it will make your chili spicier.
- I add the sugar and vinegar. Something about this just works. Then taste, Add as much chili powder as you like for flavour. most likely a tablespoon or so, You can always add more.
- Simmer chili. If you are cooking on top of stove, remember to stir often, as the sauce can burn easily. Once you have all the ingredients in, putting the chili in a slow cooker, would be a good way to to have it simmer without having to worry about burning. The longer it simmers, the more the flavours combine, which is why we really like it the next day.