For those of you who love a light fruit cake
- 3 cups bleached sultana raisins
- 2 cups slivered citron peel
- 1 cup glazed red cherries
- 1 cup candied pineapple
- 1 1/2 cups blanched almonds
- 3 cups sifted all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 tsp grated lemon rind
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup undrained crushed pineapple
- Wash raisins in warm water. Drain well; spread on towel to dry. Cut citron into thin slivers. Halve cherries and almonds.
- Combine fruits; cover with towel until ready to use.
- Line 8 X 8 X 4 inch pan with heavy-duty foil.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- Sift, then measure flour; re-sift with salt. Sift over prepared fruit and nuts; mix until each piece is coated.
- Cream butter until light. Gradually add sugar; continue to cream until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition. Stir in lemon rind, vanilla and pineapple.
- Fold in floured fruit and nuts.
- Spoon into prepared pan, spreading evenly. Bake 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until cake tests done.
- Cool in pan on cake rack. When cold, remove from pan; wrap and store.
- Yield; 5 pound cake