Recipe adapted from “All About Braising” by Molly Stevens.
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- Juice of a lemon
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth (or water)
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- Wash and trim the base and ragged outer leaves of Brussels sprouts. Cut them in half and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add Brussels sprouts and cook until they begin to brown (5-10 minutes). Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in the cream, milk and vegetable stock and reduce to a low simmer. Cover with lid and braise over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the Brussels sprouts to your serving dish with a slotted spoon.
- Add the juice of a lemon to the remaining sauce in the skillet and reduce, on medium-heat, until it develops a fawn color, about 3-5 minutes.
- Pour over the Brussels sprouts, toss and serve hot or warm.