- 2 cups all-purpose flour (unbleached or regular)
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/3 cup butter, cold, cut into chunks
- 2 Tbsp. canola or vegetable oil
- 1 heaping cup grated cheddar cheese (sharp flavoured is best)
- 1/2 – 2/3 cups milk
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried parsley flakes or 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and garlic salt. Whisk together to combine thoroughly. Add chunks of butter. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut butter into flour until it is coarse, pea-sized (doesn’t need to be fine). Add oil, grated cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup milk. Stir together. Keep adding milk a bit at a time, just until the dough is moistened and no longer dry and powdery. (Shouldn’t be sticky, just moist enough to hold together).
- Drop approximately 1/4 cup portions of the dough onto an un-greased cookie sheet using an ice cream scoop or large spoon.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes. While biscuits are baking, melt 3 tablespoons butter is a small bowl in your microwave. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and the parsley.
- When biscuits come out of the oven, use a brush to spread this garlic butter over the tops of all the biscuits. Use up all of the butter. Serve warm.
- Makes one dozen biscuits.