- ¾ cup hard margarine
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup fancy (mild) molasses – I used blackstrap
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- App ¼ cup granulated sugar
- Cream margarine and first amount of sugar in large bowl. Add egg. Beat well. Add molasses. Beat until smooth.
- Combine next 5 ingredients in medium bowl. Add to margarine mixture in 2 additions, mixing well after each addition until no dry flour remains. Roll into 1 inch balls.
- Roll each ball in second amount of sugar in small bowl until coated. Arrange about 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets. Bae in 350 degree over for about 10 minutes until just firm. Let stand on cookie sheets for a bout 5 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool. Makes about 7 ½ dozen cookies (more like 5 dozen)